Issue 2 of MSCSI launched on Sunday 31 March, with two new pages going online each Sunday. Weâ€™re currently developing the Issue 2 Lookbook (scheduled for April) and a MetaMindMap, including links to the creatorsâ€™ influences, Catâ€™s reading lists, recipes, favourite songs and movie stars, and recommendations for other comics (online and in print) for anyone who loves MSCSI.
Issue #1 took fourteen months to produce. This is the first episode of a five-part story-arc, and that story-arc is the first of three volumes about Catherine Abigail Daniels and her world. We have many more stories about Cat, Connie, Dahlia, Daisy and Kyla to tell (and many more about Carnival, Kay, Kit, Enrique and the Urbanite, too). We need your help to keep telling those stories.
Issue 2 of MSCSI launches on Sunday 31 March, with two new pages going online each Sunday. Weâ€™re currently developing the Issue 2 Lookbook (scheduled for April) and a MetaMindMap, including links to the creatorsâ€™ influences, Catâ€™s reading lists, recipes, favourite songs and movie stars, and recommendations for other comics (online and in print) for anyone who loves MSCSI.
In the meantime, we're asking you to help us fund the final issues, so we can complete Cat's story and continue our donations to . If you like what we're doing here, we ask you to donate at least $5 to pay the artists' costs for the last episodes (the writer takes no money from this project). If you can give more than $5, there are exciting bonus materials, from pin-ups to deleted scenes, and the opportunity to appear as a character in a future episode.
Thank you again. Together, we are all helping to create something different, and something better. Smart is a superpower.
- What are we asking for?
- We are asking you to donate a minimum $5 to My So-Called Secret Identity if you enjoyed it and would like to read more. If youâ€™re able to give more, great â€“ youâ€™ll also get more (see below).
- Where is the money going?
My So-Called Secret Identity is not a commercial enterprise. We are not in it to make money: we want to tell stories, start discussion and spread the idea that superhero comics can offer something different. However, Susan Shore and Sarah Zaidan are professional artists and need to earn a living from their work. We're keeping costs to a minimum.Here's where the money will go:
$700 pays Suze for an entire episode (22 pages) of beautiful black and white line art
$400 pays Sarah for the painted covers, the painted interior colour, and the mind-blowing montage sequences
$100 pays Lindsay to update the website with new costume designs and character sketches in Cat's Lookbook, each issue
That's $1,200 per issue. We're rounding it up to $1,300 because we want to make a donation from each issue to a relevant women's charity.
We are currently partnered with , which reaches out to and supports vulnerable women and their families, and making a regular donation from each issue.
The author, Will Brooker, takes no money at all from your donation, and writes this comic free of charge.
- What do I get?
- KYLA FLYTE FAN: $5
We ask you to donate a minimum of $5 toward funding the final issues. As a thank you, we'll email you individually, with a special Suze Shore painting of pop princess KYLA FLYTE. If you're able to give more, the rewards get even more exciting.
- DAHLIA AND DAISY DEVOTEE: $10
Give $10 and get the picture of KYLA, plus a bonus, beautiful image of Dahlia and Daisy, as previewed in the Times Higher Education magazine.
- NEW CAT PEOPLE VIDEO: $15
Give $15 and get the pin-ups, plus an awesome, all-original video by @beccatoria, who made our front-page promotional clip. This new promo features David Bowie's 'Cat People' and offers sneak glimpses of characters from future episodes. It will be mailed direct to your inbox, so make sure you have space in there!
- BRAND NEW DELETED SCENE: $25
Give $25 and you get ALL THE ABOVE, plus an extra black and white page of the story, specially written and drawn by Brooker and Shore for ISSUE 2 only, and emailed to your account. This is an entirely NEW page, revealing the secrets of Kay Nevermore and Dahlia Forrester: the previously-available deleted scene of Kit Farben and Daisy is now OUT OF STOCK.
- BRAND NEW DELETED SCENE DELUXE: $50
Give $50 and you get ALL THE ABOVE, but the new bonus page is in Sarah Zaidan's stunning colours.
- BEST FRIEND OF CAT: $100
Give $100 and you get ALL THE ABOVE, plus your name appears in a future episode (as a brand logo, a graffiti tag or other cool detail) so you become part of Gloria City.
- BEST FRIEND FOREVER OF CAT: $200
Give $200 and you get ALL THE ABOVE, plus we ask you to send in a photograph of yourself, and you will appear as an 'extra' in a future episode.
- JOIN TEAM CAT: $250
Give $250 and you get ALL THE ABOVE, plus have your name listed as a sponsor on the Creators page.
- BILLIONAIRE PHILANTHROPIST: $1300
- Give $1300 if you're Tony Stark or something, and feel really good about yourself.
- Why aren't you using Kickstarter or Indiegogo?
- Because Kickstarter takes 5% of the funds raised, and Amazon takes a further 3-5%. Indiegogo takes 4% of total funds. That means we would have to ask for more money to cover the artists' costs and make a donation to charity for each issue. This way we can make the comic for less, ask you for less, and get it to you more quickly.
- If I donate, when will I see the next issue?
- We are tracking all donations using the 'level up' bar, above. When we raise the total we need to fund issues 4 and 5, we will stop taking donations and replace the reward tiers with charity options. Meanwhile, we are working full-time on MSCSI and you'll be seeing two new pages of Cat's story going live every Sunday, until the first volume of five issues is complete.